Buffalo Souljah’s official entry onto the South African music scene was in 2007. Buffalo soon formed a formidable partnership with one time channel O VJ and Africa’s most wanted DJ Waxxy. The duo was soon to take over the continent doing shows and appearances at diplomatic ceremonies and parties alike. The release of his debut album, which featured the chart buster Zandla Phezulu, saw him enjoy spins on metro FM, YFM and in neighboring countries.
Buffalo roped in Nyla from Brick N Lace on the collaborative single Born To Be Wild. This is one of the surprise jewels that the King of African dancehall had kept close to his chest and now that it has happened, the industry is in for a massive attack.
One of his latest singles Basawine has accrued over 1 million YouTube views in less than a month. Basawine is a fusion of hip hop and reggae dancehall. He resonates a signature sound that has earned multi award winning King of African reggae dancehall Buffalo Souljah 6 Channel O Awards and a Nigerian Sound City award trumping Teargas and Banky W for this coveted award.
In his home country of Zimbabwe, the Minister of Youth and Indigenisation Saviour Kasukuwere has capped him with a Youth Cultural Ambassador accolade for raising the musical flag on the continent. Its 2014 and this firebrand artist is ready with his brand new project titled Da Chosen – 1, an eclectic mix of African Jit, House and Hip Hop yet embedded in his trade mark Reggae Dance hall sound.
Basawine is basically a celebration of the wine season we are in, or the twerk season if you may. The global sound right now is very much driven by twerking and windin. Being an artist whose roots are embedded in dance hall music it is only natural that I represent the mood of the time on the global scene.
Da Chosen – 1, like his previous album has a fair continental representation on it with collaborations with Nigeria’s
- K Switch who is Di Banj’s young brother
- Angola’s Cabo Snoop on the song Staera
- Inonyengesa (loosely translated in Shona means the ‘style that gets you girls’). Two prior singles off the same project
- Basawine, Turn-Up which features “Blayze with the hit song “Hammer
- Nigerian finest rapper “Eindo and Ghana’s finest and
- Africa magic presenter Turas, has been rocking charts on Nigeria’s Beats FM, Zimbabwe’s ZiFM, Star FM and Power FM
- Ziyawa features South African rap superstar Red Button and Nigerian sensation Emmy Gee
Since then, Buffalo has collaborated with the following acts:
- Nyla of Brick and Lace
- Lira, Hugh Masekela
- Yvonne Chaka Chaka
- Stoan of Bongo Muffin
- Loyiso on the Channel O Young Gifted And Black song
- Kwela Tebza
- Thembi Seete
- Bongo Riot
- Zimbabwe’s Queen Vanessa
- Pro Kid
- Young Nucho
- Cabo Snoop and Kay Switch
- 2011 Celebrity Big Brother Africa housemate Hanni from Ethiopia
- Big Brother Africa star game’s Eva from Botswana.
Da Chosen – 1 is a fusion of high life music with reggae dancehall, Hip Hop and Afro-pop. It is a representation of a variety of influences from legends like Oliver Mtukudzi and obviously Bongo Muffin’s Jah Seed and Boom Shaka’s Junior Sokhela for opening up those doors for Reggae Dance Hall music when nobody else was paying attention to it in Africa. The album will be digitally distributed online and sold in stores.